http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Monday, September 14, 2009

Girl Mary - Petru Popescu


Petru Popescu has done a great job giving us a look at what life was like at the time of Christ. His treatment of the Immaculate Conception is compelling as it not only tends to give credibility the virgin birth but it also explains how legends tend to surround events. Since his research and resources regarding Jewish life at the time is so intricately detailed, it does make his rendition of this incredible story believable.

The book is intriguing enough that I finished it in a day. I found the characters to be fascinating and particularly liked Joseph as he seems more believable as a man that Popescu has brought out of the shadows. Mary's character was also captivating for me but the transition from third person narrative to Mary's voice didn't seem to work out as well as I might have preferred - I thought the story was being told from the perspective of either the creator or perhaps an angel.

Regardless, I did savor what it might have been for Mary. I must note however, that I did gather a sense that Popescu's Romanian roots seemed to come through in his story telling. I cannot say for certain because I am not fluent in Romanian but there is something in his delivery that makes it delightful - kind of like the unmistakable flavor of an ethnic food exclusive to a particular society.

This one is a keeper.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger