http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lance Gilbert Kowalski - Happy Birthday - There's no Place That Far

"...and remember, I am with you always, even to the end of time."
Jesus Christ [Matthew 28:20]

At 5:27, on a Thursday morning, Lance Gilbert Kowalski died. The date was 23 October 2003 - he was 13 years old.

Today is his eighteenth birthday.
He was born on 13 March 1990.

Lance succumbed to one of the most devastating types of juvenile cancer - Neuroblastoma.
You can read more about him by clicking (above) on his name.

I first posted a blog entry with
Lance's story back in July of 2006. I think about him quite often. This post is simply my small contribution to remember a kid I never met but who nonetheless helps me to appreciate how precious life is and how quickly it can end.

Lance's story reminds me to acknowledge those who I dearly love; lost opportunities never return once they've been squandered.


This song, performed by country singer Sara Evans - accompanied by Vince Gill - celebrates love that endures across time and space.

It is a testimony to people like Justine Saylors whose loss and abiding devotion serve as reminders to us all that, regardless of whatever circumstances befall us, our loved ones remain alive in our hearts
forever. They will never cease to exist because we will never forget them.

Here's Lance's Birthday Card - I hope you 'sign' it in your heart, with your actions today .

I invite you to celebrate Lance's birthday by entreating you to tell someone just how much you appreciate and love them today. Show them with your actions and affirm it with your words. People can never be told too much, just how much they really are loved and appreciated.

Better yet, make every day a birthday. Let simple acts of kindness be your candles. You'll light them, one at a time, by relinquishing just a little bit of the most precious commodity of you have; your time. Hug a baby, be of service, listen to someone with an open heart, offer a simple smile to people you walk by. Above all, look forward to tomorrow when you can celebrate your birthday all over again; because you are alive - and because you can.

For those of you who have children; never let a day go by without showing them - by word or deed - how much you love them. For those of you who don't have children; never forget that every person on the planet is some mother's child; afford them the same kindness you so richly deserve because the distance between two hearts really isn't that far. Rest assured, your kindness won't go unnoticed and you might just change the world for the better.

Justine's e-mail is
justinesaylors@gmail.com - I'm certain she wouldn't mind at all if you dropped her a line.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
James Matthew Barrie

Happy Birthday to Lance and thank you. May the one who cannot be named and who remains unseen watch over you until the moment you are once again united with your mother whose love is only a heartbeat away.

God bless the children...

No Place That far
Sara Evans - featuring Vince Gill

I can't imagine, any greater fear
Than waking up, without you here,

And though the sun, would still shine on,

My whole world, would all be gone,

But not for long,


If I had to run, if I had to crawl

If I had to swim a hundred rivers, just to climb a thousand walls,

Always know that I would find a way, to get to where you are,

There's no place that far


It wouldn't matter why we're apart,
Lonely miles or two stubborn hearts

Nothing short of God above

Could turn me away from your love

I need you that much


If I had to run, if I had to crawl
If I had to swim a hundred rivers, just to climb a thousand walls,
Always know that I would find a way, to get to where you are,

There's no place that far


If I had to run, if
I had to crawl

If I had to swim a hundred rivers, just to climb a thousand walls,

Always know that I would find a way, to get to where you are,

There's no place that far

Baby there's no place that far

...and God bless the ones left behind to deal with their loss.

If possible, you might consider making a donation to Cancer research - more particularly, one dealing with Neuroblastoma in Lance's name. No child should suffer as he did and many others have as well.

Together, we can make a difference. We owe these kids every chance available to overcome this disease.




2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 13, 10:25:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a son who is currently fighting neuroblastoma and the fear of losing him is always present. He is a beautiful, curious 3 year old who melts your heart with his gentle touch. he is my son, my buddy, my inspiration, and it is for his life that I fight. I along with other parents whose kids are fighting this deadly cancer have banded together to create a foundation to support desperately needed research in an effort to change the current odds. Today nearly 70% of those diagnosed with NB will survive and it is one of the most common and deadly pediatric cancers. Did you know that more children die from cancer than any other disease every year in the United States? It is the number one killer of our nations innocent toddlers and yet nearly nobody knows and little is being done to change this. I wish you a Happy Birthday Lance you are missed.

www.bandofparents.org

or

www.princeliamthebrave.blogspot.com

 
At Thu Mar 13, 10:58:00 PM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your heartfelt post. I cannot imagine what torture it must be that you are going through.

I appreciate the links you provided - hopefully, people will find in their hearts to donate to this noble effort.

Liam is a nice looking kid and I pray he makes it through this trying event. I pray for him. I pray for you and all the other families who are enduring in the face of such a devastating diagnosis.

Never give up.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger