http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Jaja goes to School


Well, it is official, my grandson started school today. He is very excited. His reaction to it is much like his Mama's was when she started school; eager to start with little reluctance. This past weekend they went to the store and picked up a brand new Buzz Lightyear backpack and lunchbox combo. His two best friends - Mama and Daddy accompanied him to school on his first day. They are devoted parents and he is blessed to have them both.

He picked out what to wear this morning because he wanted the stripes on his shirt to match his ensemble. He is the only kid who wore a baseball cap today - his favorite. It is his Benny 'The Jet' Rodriguez hat - the heroic character from Jaja's favorite movie, Sandlot.

The boy loves everything baseball. Even at this early age, when other three-year olds are swinging at a stationary ball positioned on a stand, Jaja actually swings at balls that are pitched to him. He knocks the ball over the house all the time. He can field catches and throw the ball pretty awesome as well.

Jaja's eye-hand coordination is incredible at such an early age but then again, he was playing catch with anyone who would play with him even before he could crawl. I suppose this should come as no surprise considering his daddy and uncle both went to college on baseball scholarships. His uncle actually played in the majors for several years.

I could go on and on about what a gifted and talented boy Jaja is but there is no need. I am confident he is destined to leave a big mark on the world despite my abiding admiration for him.

Today is Jaja's day - it marks the beginning of an epic journey that will take him far because today he starts his formal education. While other children less fortunate than my only grandchild will struggle with hunger and all varieties of abuse and neglect, Jaja will enter the sanctuary of education where hopefully, he and his peers will one day help do develop solutions that bring an end to suffering and injustice wherever they find it.

I expect he will go far. Hopefully he and all the other children of the world will endeavor to leave for their children and grandchildren, a planet that is better off than what they received it. I have a tremendous amount of faith in them all


Take a good look at that little face because, like all the other little faces among him, it is the face of our future.

Postscript:

12:27 PM - Jaja just called me and announced, 'Hi Papo! My went to school today! My made a macaroni necklace. My painted pictures and My ate peanut butter and jelly. My am so big today! My didn't even cry."

I couldn't get a word in edgewise. All I could do was listen.

There you have it folks, the very first printed words of your future President. Such humble beginnings for such a great man.

4 Comments:

At Thu Aug 18, 02:19:00 PM MDT, Blogger Beaver said...

He is soooooooo adorable :)

I'm sure he'll make a fine worker in the struggle to make this world a better place, just like his papo :)

Children are such a source of hope for us all. :,)

 
At Thu Aug 18, 06:03:00 PM MDT, Blogger Xolo said...

How could he not have a bright future with that pack and lunch box?

I still remember my first days in the various schools I attended. I am happy to hear that his experience was a positive one.

Great people have made it through the Albuquerque school system (ie. my wife). Bodes well for Jaja...

 
At Thu Aug 18, 06:28:00 PM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Beaver,

Thank you so much - I want him to learn French - can you come down here? You are such a kind woman - I think if Jaja married a Franco-Canadian, it could really help his chances for international relations. Start looking for first-lady material and please forward curriculum-vitaes. No slackers please.

Xolo,

You are fast becoming a good friend. I figured Sara had to be a real special person. I am very proud of you both. I hope my son grows up to be as brilliant, successful and devoted to his culture and his wife as you are in yours and with yours.

Tell Sara we will be making a special trip to Zozobra in her honor. I like her blogs too but she studies too hard.

Joe

 
At Fri Aug 19, 03:39:00 AM MDT, Blogger Renee Wagemans said...

He is so cute
No wonder you are walking beside your shoes, you have every right to
Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger