http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Monday, August 22, 2005

God Bless You Daddy


The greatest man I have known
The greatest man I will ever know

God bless you Daddy
Rest in Peace

Dance with My Father Again
Luther Vandross

Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and then
Spin me around 'til I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved
If I could get another chance, another walk, another dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end

How I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again
When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way, I would run from her to him
He'd make me laugh just to comfort me
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me
If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end

'Cause I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again

Sometimes I'd listen outside her door
And I'd hear how my mother cried for him
I pray for her even more than me
I pray for her even more than me
I know I'm praying for much too much
But could you send back the only man she loved
I know you don't do it usually
But dear Lord she's dying
To dance with my father again
Every night I fall asleep and this is all I ever dream

12 Comments:

At Mon Aug 22, 09:40:00 AM MDT, Blogger iamnasra said...

I have been thinking of my DAD LATELY ...SO OUR THOUGHTS MUST HAVE CORSSED EACHOTHER...

I LOVE THAT SONG

YOU CAN READ IT HERE
http://iamnasra.blogspot.com/2005/08/to-say-those-things-we-need-to-say.html

AND OVER HERE

http://www.nasra-al-adawi.blogspot.com/

 
At Mon Aug 22, 09:41:00 AM MDT, Blogger iamnasra said...

MAY GOD BLESS YOUR DAD

 
At Mon Aug 22, 10:07:00 AM MDT, Blogger Paul said...

Beautiful words.

Gentle and strong both - so many people don't know that in a father. Such a painful loss, but such a wonderful knowledge.

 
At Mon Aug 22, 12:27:00 PM MDT, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Joe,
I am in Clarksdale Mississippi looking for a blacksmith. I thought to take my laptop so I could do some writing while I am waiting. As you know, I had to check out some of my favorite blogs, and saw this post ... I am indeed sorry for your lost, but remember what I told you, death is nothing more than changing clothes.

Your father may be gone from this reality, but his spirit lingers in everything around you. Just imagine what he looks like now … sort of like the emperor’s new clothes. He is no longer suffering and he is being what he desires, dressed up in the wonderful love of the Creator; he’s high stepping and having fun. Don’t allow your spirit to be weighted down like lead; you will be all right, for indeed, thou are a kind soul. May peace rest within the house of your family during this lost, and beyond; for when something sad happens, joy is soon to follow.

Stand up my friend, here’s my hand
There is no shame in shedding tears
For pain and suffering define a man
Lost of a beloved father breath fear
But love of friends who understand
That when losing someone so dear
We comfort the boy inside the man

Be well, and know that you and your family are thought of.

Amias

 
At Mon Aug 22, 04:27:00 PM MDT, Blogger Tina said...

I'll be praying for you.

Much Love,
Cricket

 
At Mon Aug 22, 08:56:00 PM MDT, Blogger SaffronSaris said...

poiganant....

 
At Tue Aug 23, 02:03:00 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace, J.

The spirit, borne of love, always remains.

Be well,
G

 
At Tue Aug 23, 08:45:00 AM MDT, Blogger Beaver said...

This hit home... my dad passed into the light 3 years ago... sometimes it still feels like yesterday.

Thank you for paying tribute to your dad, and through him, to all fathers.

You will be in my thougts!!!

 
At Tue Aug 23, 11:51:00 AM MDT, Blogger Xolo said...

I am sorry for your loss.

This post along with the one about your grandson makes me marvel at the circle of life. As one moves on, others begin to bloom.

Keep passing the wisdom on...

 
At Tue Aug 23, 09:44:00 PM MDT, Blogger Alicia Morgan said...

God bless you during this hard time - a lot of people's thoughts and prayers are with you.

 
At Tue Aug 23, 10:03:00 PM MDT, Blogger Crabbi said...

Dear J, I'm so sorry about your dad.

 
At Thu Aug 25, 10:01:00 AM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

People,

Thank you for all your thoughtful and kind comments. I appreciate your support. My father's death has impacted me deeply and I am having a tough time dealing with it.

You all do not know how comforting it is to receive such heartfelt concern from people who know me through this venue. Here is the place that people have come to know me in my rawness and as the person who I really am. The shared intimacy and intellectual dialogue here has provided me with an opportunity to float my thoughts in the ether. I am happy that what I find significant is also shared by people such as you all. You give me hope and reinvigorate my faith in Humanity.

The deaths of Officers Smith and King are also very difficult for me to deal with as I knew Mike King quite well; we chatted just a couple of days over at the District Courthouse before he was killed. My last words to him were that he needed to get out of APD since he had already retired and returned only because of the incentives the department had offered. I reminded him about how dangerous the job was and told him to be safe. He smiled and then we talked about getting together for breakfast sometime. Mike was a good man he was a decent man and I wasn't even able to make it to his funeral because of my dad's death.

Honestly though, I am not certain I could have even gone to either of the slain officer’s funerals. I used to be so tough regarding death but these days, I feel like such a coward. I feel so inadequate.

I hope both King and Smith are okay wherever their spirits may be. My heart goes out to their families and I truly hope that they find some peace in the wake of all this devastation.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it. I consider each of you my friends.

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger