http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Sunday, June 19, 2005

True to Myself - Ziggy Marley

Hand Petroglyph at Chaco Canyon

True to Myself
Ziggy Marley

life has come a long way since yesterday I say
and its not the same old thing over again I say
just do what you feel and don't you fool yourself I say
cause I can't make you happy unless I am I say I say I

got to be true to myself got to be true to myself

day in day out I've asked many questions I say
only to find the truth it never changes I say
if you don't deal with it it keeps killing you a little by little I say
call me selfish if you will my life I alone can live I say I say I

got to be true to myself got to be true to myself

I don't care if it hurts I'm tired of lies and all these games
I've reached a point in life no longer can I be this way
don't come crying to me I too have shed my share of tears
I'm moving on yes I'm grooving on well I'm finally free I've

got to be true to myself got to be true to myself
got to be true to myself got to be true to myself

Words and music by David Marley
Ziggy Music (ASCAP) c/o Colgems-EMI Music Inc, (ASCAP)

5 Comments:

At Sun Jun 19, 11:17:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voice,

Very nice post. Words to live by for sure. Ziggy's on the mark. As was Bob with Redemption Song, but that's another post in and of itself.

On words to live by ...

I'm guessing by now you've finished the book ... tell me, is that ending the truest philosophy RE writing, and life, you've ever read? Certainly is for me.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Peace,
G

 
At Sun Jun 19, 11:18:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Referring there to the O'Brien book from last week, of course.

 
At Tue Jun 21, 04:59:00 AM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

G,

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is not only a collection of vignettes about the war experience in Vietnam - it is something deeper.

"The thing about a story is that you dream it as you tell it, hoping that others might then dream along with you, and in this way memory and imagination and language combine to make spirits in the head."

I also loved what he had to say about keeping Linda alive. it rang true and i do agree - it is an awesome philosophy. Makes total sense to me.

Sage advice for only $13.95 - no head rips, no emotional rollrcoaster rides, no personal agendas - just writing about writing for the sake of writing.

I sincerely appreciate your recommendation for me to read this book: it could have not come at a better time -Thank you G.

J

 
At Tue Jun 21, 10:55:00 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little binks loved this post; he has played it about 5 times. He's here dancing in his shortes, eating his nuggets & ranch, and singing along. I had to write something b/c he loved it so much. Great song!
Kris

 
At Tue Jun 21, 10:56:00 AM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Kris,

You mean Beans - not JarJar Binks - its JaJa Beans!

Thanks Kris
Pops

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger