http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Monday, June 06, 2005

Robert Francis Kennedy

20 November 1925 - 6 June 1968
Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not


Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.

On this day, 37 years ago, 42-year-old US Senator Robert F. Kennedy was fatally shot while campaigning to gain the Democratic Party's nomination for President. He had just won the California Primary and finished a victory speech when he was headed through a kitchen at the Ambassador Hotel. His assassin was a Palestinian immigrant, Sirhan Sirhan. The fatal shot came from a .22 caliber handgun.

The following is an exerpt from RFK's eulogy delivered by his younger brother, Edward M. Kennedy
delivered 8 June 1968 at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York:

"Our future may lie beyond our vision, but it is not completely beyond our control. It is the shaping impulse of America that neither fate nor nature nor the irresistible tides of history, but the work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, that will determine our destiny. There is pride in that, even arrogance, but there is also experience and truth. In any event, it is the only way we can live."

This is the way he lived. My brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life, to be remembered simply as a good and decent man, who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it.

Those of us who loved him and who take him to his rest today, pray that what he was to us and what he wished for others will some day come to pass for all the world.

As he said many times, in many parts of this nation, to those he touched and who sought to touch him:

Some men see things as they are and say why
I see things that never were and ask why not

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 06, 02:23:00 AM MDT, Blogger Tazeen Mohsin said...

Wat i really like abt ur blog is that u keep a very practical approach with everything u write. I like the fact that u r a keen observer n don't just stick to 1 side rather u stay completely neutral. And the topics u choose to write make it more worthwhile n the pictures make it more lively.

 
At Mon Jun 06, 02:54:00 AM MDT, Blogger Tazeen Mohsin said...

I logged in to Lisa Ganda's site n i saw u had left a comment there so me being nosy i decided to read that, becoz honestly tellin u i am very impressed by ur personality. And I dunno if I was the Pakistani woman u were talking abt but i now do understand the compassion in ur heart for humanity n that truly touched me so see ure so passionate abt it. I wish this world had more understanding ppl like u. There would have been alot less suffering. May God bless u always. Amen.

 
At Mon Jun 06, 09:50:00 AM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Yes Tazeen,
The woman I spoke of was in fact you. I felt bad for not leaving your blog site address there directly but it turned out well anyway. I did see that she had visited you. Once again, through the power of the internet, three people have made a nexus that otherwise would never been possible.

I think what Lisa Ganda has to say is as touching and relevant as it is poignant.

I am humbled by your kind words and I thank you for them. However, in all candor, I believe in my heart of hearts most people in my country - and quite frankly, the world - think much as I do.

I am not certain whether you have taken notice of the banner located at the top of my blog. It is a quote from one of America's pre-eminent Supreme Court Justices. He is now dead but the fact that people of his caliber sat on the bench of the highest judiciary in my country gives me great comfort. I believe he is the quintessential American because he speaks for every person. His sage words remind me we must always remain aware that certain people or groups of people will look toward upsetting the balance of power and they are the ones who are most dangerous because they threaten the very existence of Democracy. Those are the people who present a perilous threat to Humanity because it is in their best interest to silence voices of conscience - voices of dissent.

I understand America does not enjoy the esteemed status it rightly should in the world today. As I reflect upon History, perhaps I am deluding myself to think that we ever did. I do know that our future hangs in the balance these days and I, as an American am doing all that I can to ensure that my beloved country endures based on the ideals and principals set forth by its founding fathers. I also understand this is just one blog and it is a very young one at that. Reading your kind words makes me feel good; it makes me see that I am in fact accomplishing something here. I am reaching out, as a Human Being across all borders and making connections with the same.

That it comes through this venue and at this particular point as I have posted this topic of Robert Kennedy’s Assassination is moving because his memory has been honored. His vision did not die 37 years ago. Posterity has smiled upon him. Like RFK, I love America but I also love the world, I love Humanity and I realize change can never come without commitment.

 
At Tue Jun 07, 06:53:00 AM MDT, Blogger Tazeen Mohsin said...

Im truly left speechless by ur appreciation for my work. Would u plz give me the honour of adding ur website in my favourites? It would be my pleasure. And if u found my blog interesting, u would take pleasure in reading "Within the Shadows" as well. Its amongst my favourites.
Yes, I did read the banner on top of ur blog. It indeed is a consolation to know that there r ppl out there who r willing to protect humanity. But I believe that no man actually wants to purposely upset the balance of the system. Only becoz of the dissatisfaction 1 feels, he aims at changing it to the point he feels is best. See a dog will only strike when it feels its boundaries r threatened. It can adopt any way of defense and attack. Wat kind of Democracy exists if the state can not provide for the individual. Thats wat it basically means right? Of the people, for the people, and by the people. The aim isnt to destroy rather to re-create.
Im not anti-American or watsoever. But the place America made for itself, I can say its far less than being held in high esteem. Like u, Im extremely fond of my country. But hey, down here we're labelled as terrorists especially since we r Muslims. Yet, when foreigners left our country they spoke of the hospitable treatement they recieved. I often think not until u have had a chance to experience something on ur own, how r u in a position to judge it? Then politics is a total different view from the real lifestyle.
Throughtout History there have been wars over land. Those will continue till the time ends. Only the leaders know whether they r being fought for power or humanity. Though I dont see any humanity in killing 1000s of innocent ppl, children n babies included. Then ppl wonder y there is so much bitterness.
RFK indeed was a man u would proudly let lead. Attitude reflects leadership. Keep the passion alive, u never know how many lives u can change through ur words alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger