http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Miguel Martinez - New Mexico Artist


The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world
Abraham Lincoln

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"
What a Wonderful World

On 20 April 2002, my life changed forever. My daughter Kristiin gave birth to 'Jaja' Montoya. I cherish the boy with all my being. Like his uncle, he has a very engaging personality and is loved by all.

To commemorate my appreciation for the gift Kristin gave to us. I made a special trip to Taos, New Mexico and purchased a Giclee print of Victoria, painted by New Mexico Artist, Miguel Martinez - from Michael McCormick's Gallery.

Miguel Martinez' Iconic work, in my estimation is something which history will smile upon. Taos art critic Edwin Daniels wrote,

Their gestures express life's mysteries as they lower a translucent fan in invitation, encourage the wind to wrap a delicate lace across an exquisite cheek or full red lip. They beckon and romance and compel and becalm. And, as they slowly overwhelm the viewer's senses, they begin to reveal their secrets.

"You know her story by the expression she wears," explains Martinez. "These women are concerned with family life, their children, their sisters, friends...they also dream of people that at one time crossed their paths...."

Whether saints or seductresses, mothers or lovers, the women in the Martinez ocuvre are both iconic and accessible

I could not afford to commission a painting of my daughter although, when I spoke with his wife by telephone, I assured her I would when I had amassed enough wealth.

Kris is is a Real Estate Broker and is currently completing her matriculation at the local community college, TVI where she is preparing for admission into the Nuclear Medicine program this Fall at The University of New Mexico's Department of Radiologic Sciences.

None the less, the painting, Victoria is reminiscent of my daughter's features. I particularly appreciate Martinez' profound respect for women and his soulful depictions which truly capture the spirit of the Latina women whom I owe so much to

Thank you Miguel for your art,your compassion and your respectful celebration of women.

2 Comments:

At Tue May 24, 10:03:00 PM MDT, Blogger Alisa Valdes said...

Another great local artist who paints women well is Edward Gonzalez in Corrales. I love him!

 
At Fri May 27, 01:59:00 PM MDT, Blogger Lorena said...

beautiful painting. thanks for sharing that. congratulations on the new baby in your life :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger