http://tequilaexpress.blogspot.com/ View Blog

A Voice in the Wilderness

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. -- William O. Douglas

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Innocence Lost: APD's Finest - arrested for Rape

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me. . . .
Somewhere over the Rainbow

Albuquerque Police Department Chief Ray Schultz held a press conference to annnounce they had arrested one of their own Police officers, Detective Timothy J. Chavez, for raping a 14 year old girl. Detective Chavez, a 13 year veteran officer was assigned to the Vice Unit - a unit that mostly goes out and busts prostitutes - was identified by his 14 year old female victim as her attacker.

The unidentified female minor called 911 last week and stated she recognized the rapist at a local restaurant where she was at. The police dispatched an Officer on patrol nearby to the girl's location where the victim made contact with the Patrol Officer and identified her attacker as a person who happened to be driving an un-marked police car. The girl stated she met the her attacker on a chat-line and decided to meet him and that’s when Detective Chavez raped her.

Police collected DNA samples from Detective Chavez and determined in fact that his DNA matched the DNA collected from the young girl on the day she called and reported that she had been raped on 22 April, 2002. Chavez, 33 years old, claimed the sex was consensual but, as KRQE pointed out, at best, he still faces the charge of Statutory rape. He can kiss his carreer goodbye - that's definitely an act of moral turpitude.

Any bets this guy was playing, 'hide the pickle' with a few hookers as well? Keep watching that news - see what comes up as the investigation continues - my bet is a few people are going to come out of the wood work.

Detective Chavez was booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center earlier this evening - after the positive correlation was made based on DNA Evidence - on the charge of Criminal Sexual Penetration of a Minor. His bond was set at $75,000.00.

People this is exactly what I warned in three previous posts that we need to be careful not to be too trusting Police Officers who are, after all just Human. I received several hate e-mails accusing me of hating police. Let me make this point clear; not all Police Officers are bad, but there seems to be a sense of 'lax-ness regarding blanket, unquestioning trust of Police Officers since 911 - it seems like we are afraid to think that our protectors could be our victimizers. I sounded the cry three weeks ago and even submitted a letter detailing my concerns to the Albuquerque Journal in a letter to the editor - pay particular attention to theominous warning I gave at the end of that posting regarding futuure abuse of power. I was contacted by Harry Moskowitz because he said he needed to verify that I was not submitting the letter anonymously. I awaited the letter's posting. Nothing.

The letter has never been published.

I have maintained that post 9/11, police have been placed so high on a pedestal that they are breaking the law and are not subject to the same sanctions prescribed by the law for the citizens they are citing, investigating and arresting. In short, they are above reproach.

The Evidence Room Scandal should have been the clarion call for Albuquerque's citizens to have raised eyebrows. Unfortunately, the Albuquerque Journal has been remiss in not choosing to pursue the issue further, ostensibly because they have wrongly concluded that police popularity makes them above the law.

Now before anyone starts thinking I have an axe to grind with APD, please read my article, "No I do not hate Cops - Far from it" Posted last week - I was a Police Officer and recently finished my career in law enforcement; I loved my job, the people I worked for and the people I worked with. It was the best experience of my life. I love the US Constitution and I highly respect the work people in public service do. However, as has John Adams once said, "We are a country of laws, not of men."


If Timothy J. Chavez' DNA proves to incriminate him of the brutal rape:
-He has betrayed the public trust.
-He has sexually attacked a helpless child.
-He has smeared the image of decent, committed Police Officers.

Child sexual predators do not fare well in the Prison's General population.

4 Comments:

At Tue May 24, 11:40:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is wrong with police departments these days? After seeing the latest news brief makes me think twice about trusting police officers. I wish I had the awnsers to remove this madness? But, it seems to me that the problem lies with upper-management. It is alarming that this particular police detective was driving around in a city vehicle, most likely on company time on the prowl when the incident occurred. I wonder what his supervisor thinks? This madness needs to stop. What about the two rookie State Officers who were arrested over the weekend in down town abq for fighting with abq officers patrolling the area. It don't make any sense!!

 
At Wed May 25, 12:40:00 AM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Anonymous,

I sense your frustration but remember this; no one is above the law - that’s why I quoted John Adams - "We are a country of laws, not of men" - I love my country - I love my state and I love all people who don a Badge and a Uniform – that is a special calling - but that does not make them above the law. Americans have died through out History protecting the Constitution. It is worth preserving - and becoming a Police Officer does not exempt one from the law.

Don't give up hope. As a Nation, we have endured this long and we should rightfully respect the Police. We cannot however forget they are Public Servants who are charged with the duty to protect you and me. Their job is a privilege that we trust them to carry out in good faith and with integrity. They deserve respect only in as much as they respect that blessed document.

That was why George Washington was so beloved in by his countrymen – it is why he has remained one of our most cherished historical figures - he was a citizen-soldier - he was not above the law and had no interest in becoming King – even though he well could have been. He loved the Republic as do you. We tend to forget this because we do not look to the future with an eye toward the past.

As the philosopher, George Santayana said, “Those unfamiliar with History are doomed to repeat it. “ Not keeping an eye on the Police and on Government was the first mistake people made when Hitler and Mussolini came to power. We must be ever-vigilant for Tyrants, Totalitarians and Fascists because, they come, like my quote on my banner says, ‘like darkness,’ not all at once but gradually. It’s like that example of a frog put in a pot of room temperature water and then slowly raising the water to a boil. The frog will not realize the heat is going up and thus never thinks to jump out of the pot - instead, he will literally boil to death!

Thanks for dropping by and your questions and concerns are valid.

Be safe
J

 
At Wed May 25, 11:04:00 AM MDT, Blogger Alisa Valdes said...

As a former journalist, I can say the Abq. Journal is one of the weakest newspapers I've ever seen. I am not surprised they didn't publish your letter. They probably had no idea what you were talking about.

 
At Wed May 25, 12:30:00 PM MDT, Blogger The Voice said...

Alisa,

I wish people would see the outrage - sometimes I feel like the greek character of Siphysus - every day I roll the same rock up the same hill - only to awaken from this somnambulent journey to find that I am in the same place all over again.

How I love Chief Justice Douglas quote about darkness being like opression. I don't mind the effort really, I just wonder at times if my time would not be better served if I found another windmill to fight.

Stand aside while I roll this rock. Let me me know how I am doing in the morning will ya?

Be Safe,
J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web 
Counter
PeoplePC Accelerated ISP Access

Powered by Blogger